Introduced during 1913, the basic Morris 'Bullnose' design lasted until 1926 by which time its variants accounted for an impressive forty-five per cent of new car sales in the UK.
The distinctive solid nickel “Bullnose” radiator was instantly recognisable, becoming a symbol of real quality and yet the Oxford and Cowley models were offered at a price which other manufacturers could not match and still remain in business. Morris was a master of mass production and a formidable negotiator on price for ‘bought in’ components.
The Cowley was powered by a four-cylinder side-valve engine displacing 1,548cc and rated at 11.9hp, driving through a cork clutch and with a three speed gearbox. Most popularly offered as either a two-seater with dickey or a four seat tourer.
In 1926, the Bullnose Oxford and Cowley were replaced by the 1926-30 Flatnose Oxford and Cowley
In 1927 Morris Motors bought Wolsey and in 1935, Riley. Merging with Austin in 1952 to form BMC.
Location: Elsecar Heritage Centre, Wath Road, Elsecar, Barnsley S74 8HJ
Photographer: Andrew Fairclough